Try This Icebreaker at Your Next Virtual Meeting
With people working remotely, we understand how hard it can be to develop your team. Here is a virtual icebreaker that is easy to deliver and proven to be effective. Enjoy!
6-Word Summary (approximately 12 minutes)
Remember when you went back to school each September? One of the first things you had to do was share with the class your answer to the question, “How I spent my summer”? To set a fun and engaging tone at your next virtual meeting, start with a modern twist on the same sort of question.
Step One: Tell team members they have 90 seconds to come up with a 6-word summary of the past season or month. This means, in a six-word sentence (less words are ok), they have to best explain how they spent their time. Stress that this can be fun or serious – it’s up to them.
Step Two: Have a few examples that you can read to the group to help them understand. If possible, put these on a slide and share your screen with them so they can see them while you read them. For example:
- Life is short, bike ride more.
- EAT READ SLEEP… repeat for relaxation.
- Friends and family mean renewed energy.
- Vacationing in Ontario fun? Who knew?
- Slower paced weeks, means happier Tim.
Step Three: Have a timer ready on your phone and give the group 90 seconds to write their 6-word summary. Once the timer is done, let the group know it’s time to hear everyone’s great work.
- If the virtual team is 12 people or less, ask team members one by one to read their 6-word summary.
- If the group is larger than 12 people, put them into virtual breakout rooms of approximately 4 people for 5 minutes and tell them to start by reading their 6-word summaries, and to use the rest of the time chat about the highlights and challenges of the upcoming season.